AUDITIONS TAKING PLACE 1ST / 2ND MAY at EXETER PHOENIX – CALLBACKS MAY 3RD
The Elysium Theatre Company is looking for motivated, reliable and talented actors for their 2013 Shakespeare season. There are a variety of roles available within the Elysium ensemble: both male and female and all ages.
This season we will be presenting a selection of Shakespeare’s comedies for performance at Exeter venues and at our annual Shakespeare and Heritage Festival at the National Trust’s Buckland Abbey on 13th and 14th July. Rehearsals will be taking place through May and June in Exeter; you will need to be available throughout the rehearsal and production period.
For more information please see the person specification and production information below. If you are keen to apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for an application form and more details about auditions.
(If you’re interested in being a part of the production team, we’d also love to hear from you.)
- It is essential that you have a strong interest in Shakespeare and in immersive theatre.
- Experience of acting Shakespeare is a bonus but not a strict requirement: we welcome applications from enthusiastic, talented people whether experienced or not.
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team.
- Tact, diplomacy and excellent communication skills (both written and verbal).
- Ability to work successfully with a range of student and professional artists.
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines.
- Enthusiasm for delivering workshops for school pupils and helping younger students learn about Shakespeare and heritage is a must.
- You must be prepared to give this production your focus and commitment throughout the rehearsal and production period and will be required to sign a contract.
The role includes a bursary payment (minimum £100), payable at the close of the production. There will be opportunities to increase your bursary amount through dedication to the ensemble (e.g. through taking on extra responsibilities such as becoming a Marketing Assistant or Props Assistant).
Elysium Theatre was set up to make classic plays and historical material more accessible, exciting and appealing to modern audiences and young theatre practitioners.
We believe that the right mix of tradition and innovation can produce electrifying and exhilarating theatre.
We aim to reconnect hearts and minds with the power of the past: providing free training opportunities in classical theatre for young artists, promoting the use of ancient storytelling techniques alongside innovation and exploration, and illustrating the relevance of our heritage today.
For more information about The Elysium Theatre Company, see our 2012 Showreel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUIrukv3RHo and our ‘Who We Are’ page https://theelysiumtheatrecompany.wordpress.com/about/
After the success of Elysium Theatre’s 2012 project, The Wars of the Roses, which toured Devon, Cornwall and the Midlands before giving a grande finale weekend-long performance at a National Trust site to around 1,000 people, the company is developing its connections with local heritage sites and organisations by setting up an annual Shakespeare project.
This year the National Trust have requested for us to deliver an Elizabethan-themed event. We will be rehearsing a selection of Shakespearean comedies including Much Ado about Nothing, giving performances of single plays at Exeter University Piazza and the Phoenix centre, before performing the whole collection in a multi-dimensional form at Buckland Abbey: combined with improvisation, promenade performance, and site-specific drama. The performance will be set against a colourful and interactive Elizabethan “Living History” backdrop, courtesy of participating groups: immersing audiences in the period and narrative in unique creative, dynamic and participatory ways.